Friday 12 March 2010

The first steps

As I stand at a crossroads in my life, I wonder which road to take. The only road closed is the one which goes backwards. Why would I want to go backwards? I don't. No, the way is forward.

The first step is to rebuild my confidence.

How do I do that?

I have started a photography course. It is something I have always enjoyed and beautiful pictures make me smile. There is growing evidence that creative projects help to alleviate the symptoms of depression by activating the right side of the brain. This is often referred to as Creative or Expressive Therapy. I chose photography because I have always been interested in it, but it can be an expensive pastime. Luckily I already have the basic equipment I need so I do not need to spend any money. Which is good because I don't have any. I have been off work for four months now. Anything which wakes up your creative side works. I also love to draw and paper and pencils are nice and cheap. I use my photographs as inspiration for my drawings.

I find when I can't sleep and my mind is turmoil, concentrating on a drawing helps to clear my mind and settle my thoughts. An hour of drawing is usually enough to help me off to a productive sleep.

The feedback from these photographs and my drawings is boosting my confidence. You can see some of these photos by using my Flickr link at the bottom of this page.

Step One taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment